I've not traded for a few weeks and I'm enjoying the freedom that comes with that.
It's not just about the trade you're in either, I'll explain. A really insidious part of trading is the feeling you're missing out on a move. Many times I've been trading and have checked my phone (IG have an excellent trading app) constantly for my update position but there are times when I've closed a trade (regardless of profit/loss) yet I can't go 10 minutes without checking the tape for fear of missing a move.
I guess it's like a surfer who's been on his board all day, taken a few waves but can't quit. He's holding on for that one big one. Even though there's no sign of it on the horizon he has to sit there straddling his board.
His mind will be telling him there's no way he can go in 'cos as soon as he does you can be sure that wave will come. But waiting clouds your judgement and drains your enthusiasm. What should be fun becomes a chore then an obsession.
By taking a few weeks off it's allowed me to analyse my emotions. I tend to think of trading is sessions. There's the morning FTSE session, the DOW opening at 2.30 which energises the FTSE (or sends it in the opposite direction) and the run up to the closing bell at 9pm.
I have obsessed about the level way too much. I've also fallen victim to over trading. Having kept my distance these last few weeks I think it's probably possible to make just a couple of trades in a week, on any time scale and then WALK AWAY.
What I'm saying is trading too long and too often clouds my judgement and is unhealthy for my mind and account balance.
I'll come back in soon and when I do trading won't be the 'be all and end all' it has with me in the past. I've enjoyed putting my attention into my day job and my income has benefited from that. I need to strike the happy balance between trading and the rest of my life.
These words are written with the benefit of having traded for nigh on exactly a year. I've dedicated thousands of hours, tens of thousands of pounds, sleepless nights and lived through almost every emotion.
I shall use all this experience to enable me to take money from the markets when I return.
No comments:
Post a Comment